A massage is a great way to reduce pain and stress. Getting a massage, though, takes another person and that’s not always an option. Please read our take on the best massage chairs available for online purchase.
1Best Massage Chairs of 2020
Everything you could possibly want in a massage chair and more
Could easily be priced much higher
Decent starter massage with basic massage offerings
With a higher price comes a number of high-end features. In addition to head to toe massage using a variety of techniques (kneading, tapping, rolling, shiatsu), this chair uses technology to make the massage customized for your body. There is also a heat option and a full 3 stages of zero gravity. The SH-Chiro feature helps target and relax your spine while a unique yoga stretching program will provide full body stretching.
Adding to the value of this chair is the white glove delivery service that fully installs your chair where you want it.
- Size: 48”(L) x 31”(W) x 46”(H)
- Weight Capacity: 220 lbs
- Power Rating: 110-120V
- Weight: 249 lbs
- Warranty: 3-year limited
This massage chair has a lot of reviews and they overwhelmingly lean positive. People talk about how the chair has benefitted them for a variety of conditions. For some, it’s helped promote restful sleep. For others, it’s a good partner to athletic training and for yet others, it’s promoted healing from injury or illness. Many also comment about the great customer service. Click here to see the customer reviews for yourself
- great warranty
- yoga stretching feature
- L-track and 3 stages of zero gravity
- heat option
- body scan technology leads to customized massages
- white glove delivery service
- several massage techniques used
- controller not backlit
It’s not cheap, but this chair offers everything you could possibly want in a massage chair and more.
EDITOR’S PICK Full Body Zero Gravity Shiatsu Massage Chair Recliner
This chair offers a lot of value since it has several high-end features but it’s available at a mid-range price. You can get a full body massage from head to toe. Sensors detect your exact position and body type to give you a targeted and customized massage. Several different massage types are used on the chair, including kneading, tapping, and shiatsu.
The chair uses an L-shape and zero gravity positioning to increase comfort and relaxation. Heat is available but only for certain parts of the body.
- Size: 55”(L) x 33”(W) x 47”(H)
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Power Rating: 220V
- Weight: 243 lbs
- Warranty: 1-year parts
Amazon reviewers are very happy with this chair overall, giving it an average of just over four stars. A few reviewers report that the price is actually low considering the value it offers. Some say it exceeds expectations. A common theme is that it helps various bodily pains and ailments while promoting relaxation. The primary complaints are that you need to put parts of the chair together yourself and that customer service is a little spotty. Click here to see the customer reviews for yourself
- full body massage
- tons of different options and settings
- great value
- some assembly is required
- customer service from manufacturer might be poor
This chair could easily be priced much higher, considering everything that it offers.
BUDGET OPTION BCP Leather Massage Recliner and Ottoman Furniture Set
When you can’t afford much, you want a massage chair that covers the basics. This massage recliner does, with the ability to massage the upper and lower back, thighs, and calves at a variety of intensity settings.
It doesn’t offer as much cushion and overall comfort as more expensive chairs, but it is fairly comfortable. There is not a heat option with this chair.
- Size: 46”(L) x 29”(W) x 41”(H)
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Power Rating: 110V
- Weight: 45 lbs
- Warranty: 60 days
With an average of 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, this chair has earned a lot of praise. Several reviewers describe it as comfortable and well made. Some do complain that the chair makes a lot of noise when the massage feature is activated. Many also complained that the chair has an off-putting chemical smell, though this does eventually fade. Click here to see the customer reviews for yourself
- great price
- clean modern design
- a decent level of comfort
- may have a chemical smell at first
- no foot massage
This is a decent starter massage chair that will provide some relief with its basic massage offerings.
2Other Massage Chairs to Consider
Unique Curved Design: BestMassage Curved Long Rail Shiatsu Massage Chair w/Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
This chair has something of a new age look with its unique curved design.
It also has a wireless speaker and a convenient slot in the armrest to hold a phone.
This massage chair could pass for a regular recliner but it offers both heat and massaging.
If you want a chair that will blend in with the rest of your furniture, this is a good choice.
If you could really use a massage chair at work, this office chair is a good option.
It blends in as a normal office chair while offering heat and massage options.
3Massage Chair Buying Guide
Types of Massage a Chair Can Offer
Not all types of massage are the same. Different types of massage can be used to treat different concerns. Some of the most common types of massage you’ll see in massage chairs:
- Kneading is what most people think of when they think of massage. This is a process of stretching and releasing muscles to promote relaxation and treat tight muscles.
- Rolling is when rollers apply even pressure across an area of the body. Rolling helps to loosen and warm the muscles and can be very relaxing.
- Tapping is a percussive technique that helps stimulate circulation and removes tension.
- Shiatsu is when pressure is applied to certain points on the body. It works in a similar way to acupuncture.
- Compression is a technique where one part of the body (typically arms or legs) is compressed with air pressure. This can improve circulation and relieve muscle tightness and pain.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Massage Chair
- Do you want or need a full body massage or just a back massage?
- What is the primary reason you want a massage chair? Pain? Stress? Illness? Relaxation?
- How much can you afford?
- Where will you put the chair? How much room do you have?
- How much do aesthetics matter to you? Do you care what the chair looks like?
- Are you risk averse? Does a warranty make you feel better when making a big purchase?
The Benefits of Regular Massage
There are many health benefits to regular massage. This video gives a great overview of what massage can do:
It seems clear that massage can benefit the immune system, the endocrine system, the cardiovascular system, and the musculoskeletal system. Massage can benefit people of all ages, including those with injuries and certain health conditions. That said, it’s always a good idea to consult with a doctor before adding massage to your routine, especially if you have a serious medical condition.
A massage chair may not be a perfect replacement for a trained masseuse, but it can still provide a lot of benefits. To select the right massage chair for you, remember to consider your budget, your particular physical needs, and your preferences.
Massage chairs at all price levels have something to offer. What matters is which chair best meets your unique needs.